Description
B-26C Invader
The A / B-26 Invader is a twin-engine light bomber designed by Douglas, the first studies of which began in the fall of 1940 to succeed the A-20 Havoc.
In February 1941 the decision was taken to produce two versions: three-seater bombardment with glass nose for the bomber / navigator, two-seater night fighter with full nose equipped with machine guns and a radar.
The first flight of the XA-26-DE, glass nose version, took place on July 10, 1942 piloted by Ben O. Howard. It was powered by two Pratt & Whitney R-2800-27 star-shaped, three-bladed propellers.
The series mainly focused on two versions:
- The A-26B for the ground attack with 6 machine guns of 12,7 mm with 400 rounds each in the nose, this installation was completed by machine guns of 12,7 mm in the wings and the fuselage, and two turrets each with two 12,7 mm machine guns. It could carry 1 kg of bombs.
- The bombing A-26C, saw its nose replaced by the position of the navigator / bomber.
In June 1948, following the withdrawal of the B-26 Marauders, the A-26s were redesignated B-26.
Production started in September 1943 for version 26.B which started to be delivered in April 1944. Total production, all versions was 2452 units, 3 built in El Segundo, 1157 in Long Beach, 1292 in Tulsa.
By the end of production in August 1945, 1091 A-26C had been built, 1086 in Tulsa, the other 5 in Long Beach.
Handmade decoration model in solid Tanguilé wood. Entirely sculpted and painted by hand, markings by decals. Supplied with a varnished Acacia wood base and metal stem, with an engraved, glued aluminum-style plaque.



